A Plus Academic Excellence Program
The A Plus Academic Excellence Program presents selected primary school students with an opportunity to achieve academic success and supported pathways to university. These students typically demonstrate academic capability in the core subject areas of English, Mathematics, Science and Humanities & Social Sciences (HASS). This program provides an excellent opportunity for students to engage in a high quality extension program in their local area. Teachers of the A Plus program at Belmont City College are outstanding educators, experienced and enthusiastic about student learning, evidenced through ongoing professional learning in the area of academic extension and excellent attainment of University entry by eligible students. They are experts in their subjects and they work hard to help students achieve their potential.
Selection into the A Plus Academic Excellence Program includes performance on:
- Entry testing in reading comprehension, mathematics, abstract reasoning and written expression.
- School reports, prior NAPLAN results, references and the personal qualities of applicants may also be considered in the application process.
Features of the A Plus Academic Excellence Program include:
- Supported pathways to university studies through our partnership with the University of Western Australia and access to special activities.
- Homework and study skills program across all year levels, supported by Homework Club with expert subject area tutors and mentors.
- Targeted pastoral care, monitoring and regular feedback to parents regarding student progress.
- Opportunities to participate in our STEM (Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematics) Excellence elective, supported by engineering professional bodies, university links and the School Pathways Program.
- Showcase and awards evenings for A Plus students and parents.
- Participation in state and national competitions and scholarships in different learning areas, for example, the Australian National Chemistry Quiz, Have Sum Fun, Young Writer’s Competition and Science IQ.
Application forms and further information about the program can be found below.
Please direct any enquiries about the A Plus Academic Excellence Program to the Program Coordinator, Robin Byrne, on 9479 2200, or Robin.L.Byrne@education.wa.edu.au.